apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: APR on OS390?
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:41:06 GMT
Charles, Steve wrote:

> I am investigating using APR on z/OS (OS 390) and have a few questions.
>
> 1)  Where can I find an OS390 version of APR.h ?

build apr on your box and you get apr.h customized for your level of the OS

Please see http://www.apache.org/~trawick/apache-2-on-zos.html.  The
instructions for building Apache will get you apr as well.  That should be
reasonable for Apache 2 + apr 0.9.x.  (Bug me directly if you hit problems with
Apache 2.0.x or apr 0.9.x.)

I have not tried to build apr 1.0 on z/OS since a little before Python was
added as a prerequisite for natural development of APR 1.0.  There are a couple
of issues to investigate:

1) is the somewhat odd autoconf 2.13 port I've always used really necessary, or
will a configure generated elsewhere work on z/OS?
2) (based on outcome of #1) either skip the buildconf step totally or hack
buildconf to use the configure created on z/OS but the make file input created
elsewhere

> 2)  Does APR require z/OS Unix System Services?

yes

> 3)  Is there anything that would prevent APR from working with CICS?

I have no idea.  An APR application is just a typical Unix app running on z/OS,
so if those work with CICS in the way you desire then your APR application can
work with CICS in the same way.