apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject apr_uuid_get() hanging on /dev/random
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:34:24 GMT
We get reports from users that have troubles with apr_uuid_get. It blocks
trying to read from /dev/random and never comes back (I suppose not enough
entropy). No matter what the reason for this behavior, users come back to us
complaining that our app doesn't work. Any suggestions how to make
apr_uuid_get fail if /dev/random doesn't give back anything after a certain
amount of time? Should apr_uuid_get/apr_os_uuid_get have a timeout + assert or
failure code return?

The very recent report came from a linux user on kernel 2.4.20
linux canebas.org 2.4.20 #1 smp mon dec 2 10:47:41 pst 2002
i686 athlon i386 gnulinux

Thanks.