apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Licensing of find_apr.m4 and find_apu.m4?
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:08:30 GMT
On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 06:34:56PM -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> writes:
> > As a solution, the Creative Commons Public Domain dedication comes to
> > mind (<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/>.  I'm not
> > sure if that goes too far, but perhaps not.
> >
> > Thoughts?  -- justin
>
> +1.  Oh, want something more specific than "+1"? :-)  How about this:
>
>    # This file is in the public domain; the Apache Software Foundation
>    # gives unlimited permission to copy, distribute and modify it.

Looks good as a start. How about if the statement includes all parts
aspects of copyright (i.e. public performance, etc).

Hmm. Section 2 of the Apache License looks pretty good. Mebbe we can say
it is subject to only that:

    2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of
    this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual,
    worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
    copyright license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly
    display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the Work and
    such Derivative Works in Source or Object form.

Of course, then we have section 3 to deal with (patent licenses). So just
section 2 might not be workable.

I'm thinking we might want to stick with the Apache License, but state
that certain pieces do not apply. Specifically, I think it may only be 4d
that should be stricken.

Cheers,
-g

--