apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@rkbloom.net
Subject RE: jk2 new shmem using APR
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:19:00 GMT
Quoting Greg.Cope@pfizer.com:

> > The entire shm support will be available _only_ if there is
> > APR_HAS_SHARED_MEMORY support.
> > So if the particular platform doesn't implement that, or the apr's
> > implementation is bogus, one can disable that when building apr.
>
> APR_HAS_SHARED_MEMORY appears bogus on Solaris 2.8 with 0.94 and CVS (1.0).
>
> How can you change the apr build as mod_jk2 builds apr when trying to make
> apr for apache 1.3.x?  Using Suns complier.
>
> > Can someone tell me what are the platforms that doesn't have
> > the support for
> > APR_HAS_SHARED_MEMORY.
>
> As per above, Solaris apr build appears to have bugs.  As yet I have not had
> the time to look at why.
>
> Does the above help?

I very seriously doubt this.  Apache uses shared memory for the scoreboard
communication between the parent and child processes.  In Apache 2.0, this is
done using APR's shared memory support.  Also, the APR testsuite tests shared
memory, and while I don't currently have a Solaris machine, the last time I had
one, APR passed this test on Solaris.

Perhaps you could give us more information about why you think APR's shared
memory appears to be bogus.

As for which platforms don't implement shared memory support, they are few and
far between, because as I have said Apache requires it.  Netware is one, however
that definately doesn't support it.

Ryan