apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: apr/apr-util python dependence
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:19:17 GMT
  I ran the gen-build.py script to try to understand what it is doing.
I don't see how it would fit into the NetWare build process.  The
NetWare build is completely independant from anything that happens in
mainstream build process.  Now that you have converted the
gen-uri-delims into a static table, the only other build problems that
we have are in httpd with the chartables.c and test_chars.h.  Since
these files are also generated by utilities, we still have the
"build,copy,run,copy,build" problem.

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:12:59PM -0700, Brad Nicholes wrote:
> >The way I suspect Greg is heading is that you get a
> >./gen-build.py netware, which can be run on any platform to
> >produce the things you need to do the Netware build.  So
> >this should be an improvement, since you don't have to move
> >files, build a tool, move it back, then build.
>
> OK, now I understand it better.  So I guess it's back to the
religious
> battle. ;-)  Python is just yet another build tool that we need to
> install.  But for NetWare, getting rid of the "build, copy, run,
copy,
> continue build" headache is worth it.

I've checked in the modified gen-build.py, but I don't think that will
help you right now since you still have NetWare-specific makefiles and
other build bits.

I have also committed a fix to stop doing the gen-uri-delims stuff,
which
I think was your real headache. We now just directly encode the tables
in
apr_uri.c. Once the Windows build (any what others?) stop trying to
build
gen_uri_delims.c/.dsp, then those files can be removed from
apr-util/uri/.

The next step will be to determine how gen-build.py can build NetWare
build bits for you. I'm not familiar with the NetWare build system,
but
will look at those custom Makefiles that you have checked in. We should
be
able to do something.

Please let me know where your pain points are now.

Thanks,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/