apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: why gen-uri-delims in Python?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:45:46 GMT
>To be honest, I'm thinking that we just hand-write the two tables into
>apr_uri.c and use a #define to select the right one. We should
already
>have a symbol somewhere saying whether we're using EBCDIC. Then we can
get
>rid of all this delimiter generation stuff. These tables are quite
>constant... :-)

+1 on NetWare.  The delimiter generation has never worked for NetWare
mainly because we don't actually build on NetWare.  The NetWare NLMs are
built using Metrowerks on Windows and then copied to a NetWare server.
This means that we first had to build the delimiter generation stuff on
Windows, copy it to and run it on a NetWare box, copy the results back
to Windows and then continue on.  No real way to automate this.  To get
around this manual process for our own internal builds, I just do this
once and then save off the header file for the build system.  It would
be nice to get rid of this in both APR and HTTPD.  But please don't
require python.  Python doesn't run on NetWare.

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:55:22PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > Seems like we need to keep that around, or find another solution.
For
> > example, we could generate an ASCII table and an EBCDIC table, and
then
> > use ./configure to select the appropriate table.
>
> shrug...  the old way, or copy from uri_delims.h.{ascii|ebcdic} at
configure
> time; need something that uses a trivial operation that can be easily
done in
> Win32 build or NetWare build or some other odd build

All righty. Are we only talking about ASCII and EBCDIC? There isn't
anything else that will sneak up on us, right?

And aren't Win32 and NetWare always going to use the ASCII form? In
which
case, we just hard-wire their build systems to point to the ASCII
version.

Once I understand the set of options here, I'll make it happen since I
broke it in the first place :-)

To be honest, I'm thinking that we just hand-write the two tables into
apr_uri.c and use a #define to select the right one. We should already
have a symbol somewhere saying whether we're using EBCDIC. Then we can
get
rid of all this delimiter generation stuff. These tables are quite
constant... :-)

Cheers,
-g

--