apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: apr/apr-util python dependence
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:49:59 GMT
> As part of the configure process, I would agree with you, but as part of
> buildconf, I disagree--not everyone needs to run buildconf--only
> developers, and if you're a developer, it's *really* not asking that
> much to have Python on your dev box.

    That must be a wonderful world where you run buildconf only
    on boxes which are under your control all the time.

    In reality, build system debugging is often required on
    awkward systems where even a pervasive language such as perl
    is often unavailable.

> Ick. Ick ick ick ick ick.  "Easily" is obviously a subjective term.  Who
> wants to write (and, more importantly, *maintain*) hundreds (or
> thousands) of lines of /bin/sh code?

    Many people do that all the time.

> Not to mention the fact that Python can be much more compact
> than /bin/sh after you hit a certain level of complexity.

    Build systems don't reach that level.

> Anyway, I suppose that agreeing to disagree may be for the best here.

    Agreed.  I'll rewrite the .py script on my way tonight and
    submit it for review.

    - Sascha