apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: apr/apr-util python dependence
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:55:13 GMT
>>     However I completely disagree that Python (or Perl or PHP) is
>>     a good choice for use in build systems.
>
> As part of the configure process, I would agree with you, but as part
> of
> buildconf, I disagree--not everyone needs to run buildconf--only
> developers, and if you're a developer, it's *really* not asking that
> much to have Python on your dev box.

Sure it is.  If I wasn't so busy I would have vetoed the change on
the grounds that it causes httpd to no longer be buildable by developers
on the Cray MP.  And no, I don't care whether anyone else thinks that
is an important requirement.  Creating entry barriers is what prevents
development on new platforms that you haven't even heard of yet.

We haven't been using sh/sed/awk as our build platform because we
thought those were good languages.  I'm sorry, but being too busy to
maintain the existing scripts is no excuse for rewriting them in a
less portable language.  As soon as someone has the time to write
it in a portable language, the python should be removed.

>>> So no... switching to a shell script would not be beneficial, as it
>>> would
>>> cut off future capabilities.
>>
>>     I doubt that.  .dsp and .dsw files are just other text files
>>     which can easily be created using sh, grep, sed, tr etc.
>
> Ick. Ick ick ick ick ick.  "Easily" is obviously a subjective term.
> Who
> wants to write (and, more importantly, *maintain*) hundreds (or
> thousands) of lines of /bin/sh code?  Not to mention the fact that
> Python can be much more compact than /bin/sh after you hit a certain
> level of complexity.

Irrelevant to the task at hand.

> Anyway, I suppose that agreeing to disagree may be for the best here.
> Subversion has required python to run autogen.sh for years now, and
> it's
> been great for us.

Subversion has zero deployment when compared to httpd.  It should
be learning lessons from httpd's history, not casting it aside.

....Roy