apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Compile-time vs. run-time checks
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:37:45 GMT
At 01:33 PM 2/23/2004, Scott Lamb wrote:

>On some older versions of platforms (Linux 2.2), these #defines exist but do not work
- it's not possible to set them. Can I assume that if APR is built with a kernel in which
it does work (Linux 2.4), it will be run with one as well? Or should I include a runtime check
for this option?

On win32 we have implemented such as run time tests.  At this time, afaict
the Unix side relies on compile time tests.

However, some of the moving targets (sendfile not available, buggy, or both
available and stable) would be much better picked up at run time, since patch
updates to the kernel, or attempting to move the binaries from one box to
another have become more and more of a hassle.

Lets just say that nobody has picked up this ball and run with it yet.  If you
are so inclined, by all means lean on run time tests.  Note that tests once
per app invocation would be preferable to testing on each function invocation.

Bill