apr-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>
Subject Re: gdbm licence issue
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:01:19 GMT
This is dragging on a bit - while it is important in my
opinion. To resolve this you - perhaps give your PMC
some input as what you would like them to do:

->	Ask the board; my guess is that our answer will be;
	not a derived work if we are talking about #include <...
	and strict API use.

	But I sure would like to know for sure that a ./configure && make
	for bin releases by our volunteers which we distribute from the
	ASF would pick this up by accident. So this may lead to a
	--dist-build flag or something; or a script like the build one
	on 1.3

->	Ask the board to ask the FSF - which is clearly
	a double edged sword; as they have an oracle like
	expectation to have their answer taken on face value.

->	Simply ignore it - it is not an issue.

->	Simply sidestep the issue and ditch gdbm (I personally prefer
	Berkely DB et.al. anyway).

If you see some more possible paths going forward - add them - and
I suggest to have a few +1/-1's to guide your PMC.

Dw