apr-dev mailing list archives

From Klaus Keppler <klaus.kepp...@informatik.stud.uni-erlangen.de>
Subject Re: gdbm licence issue
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:21:28 GMT
Tricky issue...

I'd prefer to let the user decide whether to include GDBM or not.
Because when you're writing an OpenSource application under GPL
you'd have no trouble with including GDBM. Hence the configure output
could give an informational message like
"!!! You're now also working under GPL !!!" when your're building
apr-util with gdbm enabled.

By the way: is "supporting" an interface same as "using" that interface?
(thus, is supporting GPL'ed software same as using/incorporating that?)

Have a look at MySQL: there's a clause that applications with MySQL
support only need to be under GPL when they rely on MySQL; any
application capable using another db system (e.g. postgresql)
doesn't need to be under GPL. (if I understood that correctly :-)

Klaus