apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: apr/apr-util python dependence
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:11:08 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Sunday, February 15, 2004 1:06 PM -0500 Jeff Trawick
> <trawick@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd guess that a conversion to the less cool but more widely
>> ported/precompiled/preinstalled P* scripting language would be a rather
>> quick and would not suffer greatly from uncoolness and would pick up
>> additional people able and/or willing to maintain it ;)
>

> If you did that, I bet we'd lose people willing to maintain it.  ;-)

No surprise there ;)  But I would guess that part of the elevation in
importance of willing-ness vs. able-ness + availability in choice of
implementation languages is due to most people not having choices like these to
consider:

a) go find some way to build Python on z/OS; I've found some site that claims
to have patches to make it work; haven't tried yet though; also, there are
multiple levels of the OS that I use with widely varying capabilities; possibly
more invention may be required to support V2R8

b) create a mechanism where I can easily transfer the output of the python to
z/OS and also fix the charset issue with gen-test-chars

c) rewrite what seems like a relatively small amount of Python into Perl or
sh+sed+whatever

Choice c) is the only permanent solution that is done once and then everybody
benefits from.  For now there aren't enough hours in the day to mess with it.