apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <I...@Holsman.net>
Subject Re: routines for fetching load average?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:03:40 GMT
SE Toolkit (http://www.setoolkit.com/) holds the promise of doing this
in a multi platform manner, but besides from some very basic things, I
don't think there is a 1:1 mapping in what metrics a kernel/OS grabs.

The other problem with grabing performance metrics is that instant
measurements can be misleading, your better off with a method which can
collect them over a time period and agregate them.

have you considered running a seperate deamon/cron job which does the
collection/aggregation for you and sticks the result into a
file/sharedmem (ie..
critical, warning, ok) and have you module use that?

then you can get really sophisticated on your more popular systems, and
use cpu% on the machines you can't get anything else out of.