apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: routines for fetching load average?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:59:39 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>>would anyone have any thoughts about the idea of adding an
>>api to obtain the system load average?  i ask because i need
>>it for an httpd module i'm writing, and i've now got code
>>for linux, freebsd, os x, sunos, and t64u..
>

> no thoughts, uh.

load average is nice but it seems rather specialized and it doesn't really fit anywhere in
apr[-util] that I
see.  load average is one performance metric; I can see where it might be useful to have a
common interface
for collecting all sorts of performance metrics. For example, if Apache is being used as a
load balancer, you
could collect performance state metrics from the servers being load balanced, feed that info
back to the
apache load balancer (on an HTTP response header field, via a special purpose HTTP POST request
or out of
band) and use it in your load balancing/routing algorithms.  I just don't see that this has
a place in apr or
apr-util. Maybe a new subproject, apr-perf?

Bill