apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: gdbm licence issue
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:08:37 GMT
--On Tuesday, February 24, 2004 1:35 PM -0800 Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
wrote:

> I'll write to the FSF and get their position on the matter. As mentioned
> earlier, the answer would apply not only to APRUTIL, but to Python and
> Perl, too (plus N other projects).

FWIW, Manoj pointed this out to me this morning.  -- justin

<http://www.artifex.com/downloads/gs/doc/Make.htm#GNU_readline>

"However, even though the GPL allows linking GPLed code (such as the GNU
readline library package) with non-GPLed code (such as all the rest of AFPL
Ghostscript) if one doesn't distribute the result, the Free Software
Foundation, creators of the GPL, have told us that in their opinion, the
GPL forbids distributing non-GPLed code that is merely intended to be
linked with GPLed code. We understand that FSF takes this position in order
to prevent the construction of software that is partly GPLed and partly not
GPLed, even though the text of the GPL does not actually forbid this (it
only forbids distribution of such software). We think that FSF's position
is legally questionable and not in the best interest of users, but we do
not have the resources to challenge it, especially since FSF's attorney
apparently supports it."