apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <...@manyfish.co.uk>
Subject Re: gdbm licence issue
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:02:45 GMT
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 04:25:41PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> >
> > Bringing this up in the appropriate forum.  IANAL, but...
> >
> > gdbm is licensed under the GNU GPL.  apr_dbm_gdbm.c uses the GDBM
> > interface, hence is a work based on GDBM, hence all of apr-util must be
> > redistributed only under the terms of the GPL.
> >

> We just use the gdbm API, don't we? As such, I don't think that
> GPL applies.

Use of the API is usually interpreted as forming a derivative work under
copyright law, and I'm certain it's the FSF's interpretation, which is
what counts here.

C'mon, think about it: if you could link random bits of code against a
library licensed under the GPL without forming a derivative work, the
GPL would be fairly pointless and certainly not very "viral" as everyone
gets so upset about.

joe