apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: gdbm licence issue
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:25:41 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> Bringing this up in the appropriate forum.  IANAL, but...
> gdbm is licensed under the GNU GPL.  apr_dbm_gdbm.c uses the GDBM
> interface, hence is a work based on GDBM, hence all of apr-util must be
> redistributed only under the terms of the GPL.

We just use the gdbm API, don't we? As such, I don't think that
GPL applies. If it did, wouldn't PHP/Perl/Python, etc all need
to be re-distributed under GPL? We don't require it, but instead
allow it to be used if available. If a 3rd party takes APR and
compiles it so it *requires/uses* gdbm, then GPL kicks in. After
all, we aren't redistributing it.