apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: apr/apr-util python dependence
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:36:54 GMT
On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:10:06PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > Or even platforms you have heard of: within hours of this change I had
> > complaints from people who couldn't build snapshots in order to try out
> > mod_log_forensic...
>
> I hate to chime in here, but I must agree. Things have certainly
> come a long way when the build/configure system tried to
> be as LCD (lowest common denominator) as possible.

And it was a recursive make solution which we're trying to fix. If you can
come up with an LCD approach which has a single top-level Makefile, then
please feel free.

> If we require all this "extra" stuff, then, at least to my
> mind, it means that we need to rethink not just patch.

Oh, come on. For somebody building straight from CVS, to add a Python
dependence? Okay, so it caught a few people unawares. We make changes like
that all the time. But this one is not hard to solve.

In any case, this whole notion of "rewrite as a shell script" just isn't
going to fly. There is a lot more work that needs to happen, which I
really can't see a shell script handling. As Joe Orton rightly pointed
out, the build-outputs.mk output is *NOT* platform independent, yet it
needs to be. We create one tarball and it goes to everybody, so that
tarball (which includes build-outputs.mk) must be workable for everybody.
Today, it encodes the platform of the person who generated the file.

I just updated the script to generate output for all platforms (with the
intent of the main Makefile selecting the right platform), but it isn't
quite right. For example, it assumed that os2 wanted all the unix objects
(in addition to the os2-specific objects), but that isn't right: it only
wants SUBDIR/unix/ for when SUBDIR/os2/ is not specified. So I've got some
logic to rework.

Cheers,
-g

--