apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: apr/apr-util python dependence
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:00:29 GMT
On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:17:32AM -0700, Paul Querna wrote:

> > httpd is still just as "buildable" on such platforms regardless of
> > gen-build.py: from the release tarballs.  Building from a CVS checkout
> > cannot be done without extra tools, but that has always been true in
> > 2.0: you need libtool and autoconf (not to mention the CVS client).
> > Hell, autoconf itself has required Perl and GNU m4 for the last
> > three-odd years.
>
> Then the decision is made right there. Apache requires libtool to build
> from CVS. Libtool Requires Perl.  Instead of writing it in Python, do it
> in Perl.

Because I think the people maintaining APR would prefer Python over Perl.

And the notion of "well, now it doesn't build on my platform" is quite
suspect. The output of the process (run at buildconf time) is
build-outputs.mk. Just copy that from *anywhere* to your target platform.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/