apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apr/apr-util python dependence
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:56:23 GMT
On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 05:55:13PM -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >>    However I completely disagree that Python (or Perl or PHP) is
> >>    a good choice for use in build systems.
> >
> >As part of the configure process, I would agree with you, but as part
> >of
> >buildconf, I disagree--not everyone needs to run buildconf--only
> >developers, and if you're a developer, it's *really* not asking that
> >much to have Python on your dev box.
>
> Sure it is.  If I wasn't so busy I would have vetoed the change on
> the grounds that it causes httpd to no longer be buildable by developers
> on the Cray MP.  And no, I don't care whether anyone else thinks that
> is an important requirement.  Creating entry barriers is what prevents
> development on new platforms that you haven't even heard of yet.

httpd is still just as "buildable" on such platforms regardless of
gen-build.py: from the release tarballs.  Building from a CVS checkout
cannot be done without extra tools, but that has always been true in
2.0: you need libtool and autoconf (not to mention the CVS client).
Hell, autoconf itself has required Perl and GNU m4 for the last
three-odd years.

joe