apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Reser <...@reser.org>
Subject Re: Solving the off_t problem in APR 1.0
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:48:26 GMT
On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 01:15:12PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> I am against changing the default size or alignment of any data type
> in
> APR_0_9_BRANCH.  If this [has] happened we break all binary compat.

Umm we've been careful to avoid doing exactly that.  The point here
isn't to change size of the type.  It's to fix it at compile time rather
than at build time.  The last patch sent most definitely does that
without altering size of anytime and additionally without altering the
type which would change the name mangling in C++.

> Good fix for APR 1.0 along with all the other problematic design
> decisions
> we made in 0.9's twisty and winding road.  +1 for 1.0

There are potentially cleaner ways to fix this in 1.0.  This is a
temporary work around for a problem.

--
Ben Reser <ben@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken