apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: why gen-uri-delims in Python?
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:27:55 GMT
On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:27:44PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> It says:
>
>    # USAGE:
>    #   $ gen-uri-delims.py > uri/uri_delims.h
>    #
>    # typically invoked by the "buildconf" script
>
> A distributed uri_delims.h would be broken on a non-ASCII box.  And yet python
> is not to be required in order to build a source distribution.

Oof. I had not thought about non-ASCII when I made that change. Even if we
ran Python at config/build time, then I doubt it would work for EBCDIC
(I've got no idea if Python even works on EBCDIC platforms).

Seems like we need to keep that around, or find another solution. For
example, we could generate an ASCII table and an EBCDIC table, and then
use ./configure to select the appropriate table.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-g

p.s. my original goal was to avoid the complication of gen_uri_delims, but
it is (now) apparent there was more to it than I realized :-)

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/