The following comment is from apr_lib.h:

 * apr_vformatter does not call out to any other code, it is entirely
 * self-contained.  This allows the callers to do things which are
 * otherwise "unsafe".  For example, apr_psprintf uses the "scratch"
 * space at the unallocated end of a block, and doesn't actually
 * complete the allocation until apr_vformatter returns.  apr_psprintf
 * would be completely broken if apr_vformatter were to call anything
 * that used a apr_pool_t.  Similarly http_bprintf() uses the "scratch"
 * space at the end of its output buffer, and doesn't actually note
 * that the space is in use until it either has to flush the buffer
 * or until apr_vformatter returns.

Cliff Woolley wrote:
Where does it say that?  httpd uses it extensively, so if it's not, I'd
tend to think we'd have noticed by now...

--Cliff