Do the APR 0.9.2 thread management routines operate correctly when built using gcc 3.2.x under RedHat 7.3?

We'd like to migrate our source base to gcc 3.2.x from gcc 2.96; when built using gcc 2.96, everything works as expected; when built using gcc 3.2.x,  pthread_create() (called through APR) does not return, the new thread is terminated unexpectedly (becomes "<defunct>") and the thread-creating process enters a suspended state.

Are there glibc/stdc++ compatibilty issues?
Our version of APR needs updating to 0.9.4?
Our version of RH needs updating to 8.0 or 9.0?
Anything else to be aware of?

Thanks!
Andrew Cheyne

---
Andrew Cheyne - Field Applications Architect
GridIron Software
Phone: 613.226.9445 x.285