apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: what about 2.1.0 ?????
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:06:48 GMT
At 04:01 PM 1/16/2004, G√ľnter Knauf wrote:
>> ... should we modify the installed library name libapr-1.so to designate
>> that the
>> user is running a dev (non-release) version when using an arbitrary CVS
>> checkout?  Something like libapr-dev-1.so?
>I really appreciate that you want to take care of that, but this would only help on Unix,
on other platforms I think it's too complicated/impossible to do such protection, or...?

Equally trivial to name it/link against libapr-dev-1.dll.

>> This would prevent production applications from linking against a
>> (potentially) unstable code point.
>hmm, I feel a bit that sometimes you wanna be too perfect; I think that often ASF alpha
code is better than what others call releases, and in the httpd-2.0 alpha phase there were
even a few already using it in production...

Understand - I'm MOST concerned that a yet-unfinished 1.0 API module would
be floating around.  Once 1.0 is released, it is API/binary stable.  What we
are 'calling' 1.0 at the moment isn't exactly complete, so that's why I'm still
somewhat worried.

Bill