apr-dev mailing list archives

From Dipak Patel <Dip...@atinet.com>
Subject RE: Memory pools -- support for moving a sub-pool from one pool t o an other
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 02:35:24 GMT
Sander and Cliff,

Thank you for your feedback.

My comment:

>We are considering the use of APR memory pool feature in our commercial
product but I have >not been too impressed with the supportout there ..

was based on not hearing back from anyone since my first e-mail on this
subject dated December 4,2003. To date most of the code we have is either
in-house developed and maintained or licensed from a commercial vendors with
whom we have support contracts.

I really want our team to use the APR in general but we thought we would get
our feet wet with an immediate need of memory pools so that we can avoid
fragmentation under heavy loads. As with many companies, we have our own
portability layer that abstracts sockets, memory, threads, C library
functions, and other services. Bunch of us are intimate with this layer and
this allows us to release hot patches within a day or two. I would like to
see us move to APR which is worked on by many more people and used by more
users then our product but it's going to take us time to feel comfortable
with outside code.

We actually have two functions in our code:
moveTree(srcPool, dstPool) and moveItem(srcItem, dstPool). The moveItem()
takes an allocated buffer and binds it as a child of the dstPool. I
understand that this may have to be implemented by first allocating a buffer
--say dstItem-- of size srcItem in the dstPool and then doing a copy and
then freeing the srcItem. Does APR allow me to find out the size of the
srcItem if I just have the srcItem pointer.

Please let me know if you can help with the above two items so that we can
integrate and test APR pools in our code. Thanks.

Dipak M. Patel
Email:   dipakp@atinet.com
Phone: 408-350-7038    408-350-7021 (fax)
www.atinet.com