apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <...@manyfish.co.uk>
Subject Re: apr_pool_clear fails if the cleanup handler is still running
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:44:07 GMT
On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 01:57:24PM -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> It doesn't seem like people are very excited about Colm's proposal. ;(
>
> I guess I should at least document that pool cleanups and server shut-down
> don't go together. Which renders pool cleanups in apache as totally
> unreliable, and shouldn't be used for anything crucial.

It's not really a problem specific to cleanups: if the child was doing
any pool operation (be that allocation, destruction, etc) when the
SIGTERM arrives, it could also die horribly.

The undocumented assumption is just that most use of APR from a signal
handler is totally unreliable.

(I do like Colm's proposal, BTW, I'll follow up on that post)

joe