apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <...@manyfish.co.uk>
Subject Re: Solving the off_t problem in APR 1.0
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:34:41 GMT
One possible minor issue with this patch:

if a C++ library based on APR uses apr_off_t in its API, I believe that
changing apr_off_t from a long to an int changes the ABI of that
library, because of the name mangling stuff.

I don't know of any C++ libraries based on APR, and fixing the
incompatibility with Perl is probably far more important anyway.  Ignore
it?

We could fudge apr_off_t to still be a long on platforms where it was
already or even on all platforms with a 32-bit long if anyone really
cares.  It might be wise anyway... could compilers specify different
structure padding/alignment/calling conventions for int and long even
though they are the same size? Hmmm...

joe