apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Solving the off_t problem in APR 1.0
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:49:25 GMT
On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:45:43PM -0500, Greg Hudson wrote:
> (Please keep me cc'd on replies, incidentally.)
>
> Joe Orton wrote:
> > I think the best way to achieve this is to define apr_off_t as
> > off64_t on such platforms, rather than unconditionally change
> > apr_off_t everywhere, and add LFS support to APR: most of this work
> > is already done inside #ifdef NETWARE anyway.
>
> Won't that create an ABI time bomb for platforms which have no
> large-file support now, but acquire it in the future?

That's asking for a level of ABI guarantee which I don't think APR can
provide regardless of this apr_off_t issue.

Will a libapr-0.so built on RHL9 have a compatible ABI with a
libapr-0.so built on RHL6.2?  What if the libpthread soname changed
between OS versions?  (bearing in mind that both applications using APR
and libapr itself are-or-should-be linked against libpthread)

joe