apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Striker <stri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Memory pools -- support for moving a sub-pool from one pool to an other
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 02:21:57 GMT
On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 02:46, Dipak Patel wrote:
> This is the third time I'm asking this question. Can anyone please
> tell me how to use some built in feature of the apr memory pool module
> to move a sub-pool to under another pool? Our software makes use this
> type of feature to pass messages from on layer to another where each
> layer has its own pool. We simply want to take the entire sub-pool and
> assign it to a new parent.

Doable.  Should be a fairly tiny patch to make this possible.  It would
be a 'BEWARE! USE AT OWN RISK!' feature, since you are going to mess
with lifetimes and such (and cleanup ordering since the child cleanups
happen at a different time than at original parent destroy).  Be careful
with lifetime dependencies.

> We are considering the use of APR memory pool feature in our
> commercial product but I have not been too impressed with the support
> out there.

Excuse me?  This is exactly the sort of comment that demotivates me
to write the actual patch.

Sander