apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: apr_atomic stuff... planning to move all implementation out of the header file
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 03:03:04 GMT

On Nov 16, 2003, at 12:05 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> this will resolve two types of problems:
>
> 1) all implementations will then be required to use a single set of
> function prototypes, avoiding some problems we've had getting all
> platform logic to agree on what the prototype should be
>
> 2) allow bug fixes to atomic code without rebuilding applications
>
> awaiting your comments :)

+0.99

While there are technically good reasons to require that all of
these functions be inlined (like the increased probability that
an atomic_cas based spinlock will fail and have to retry if there's
a function call in the critical path),  removing the inlining will make
it easier for people who distribute builds of APR to actually take
advantage of the nonportable implementations--e.g., by providing
a single copy of apr_atomic.h and different versions of libapr.so for
i386 (with the slow implementation) and i686 (with the fast
implementation).

Brian