apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: apr_poll should not have been removed
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 02:33:57 GMT
Greg Hudson wrote:

> In the rev 1.10 of apr_poll.h (which is current on the release
> branch), the following functions are marked deprecated:
>
>   apr_poll_setup
>   apr_poll_socket_add
>   apr_poll_socket_mask
>   apr_poll_socket_remove
>   apr_poll_socket_clear
>   apr_poll_revents_get
>
> The deprecation comment is:
>
>  * @deprecated This function is deprecated, APR applications should control the
> pollset memory themselves.
>
> In rev 1.11 (October 28), gstein moved the deprecated functions to the
> end of apr_poll.h.  He also added a comment to apr_poll():
>
>   +/* ### is this deprecated, too? */
>
> In rev 1.12 (November 17), gstein removed the "old/deprecated apr_poll
> interface", garbage-collecting the six deprecated functions and also
> removing apr_poll().  But apr_poll() was never marked as deprecated,
> and it's quite possible to use it without using any of the deprecated
> functions.  It should have stayed.

+1 (got a patch to add it back? All sorts of changes need to be backed out.)

The older comments look like an agreement that we'd keep the simple apr_poll()
API for simple uses like apr_wait_for_io_or_timeout() and the new pollset API
would be for the more complex cases.  There was quite a bit of argument about
this type of thing many months ago.  I remember the recent commit that moved
the deprecated stuff to one part of the header file, but the nuance of marking
apr_poll() was lost on me :)