apr-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Tuttle <ntut...@opendemand.com>
Subject Bug found in APR sockets while trying to properly memory-manage Flood-based project
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:16:51 GMT
While trying to memory-tune code which we are working on based on Apache
Flood, an apr project, I noticed some potentially memory-leak prone
code. While alloc_socket() called by apr_socket_create() does an
apr_palloc() to allocate memory for a socket's remote_addr member, the
apr_socket_connect() function sets the remote_addr directly to the
apr_sockaddr_t * which it passes. The problem is that that defeats the
purpose of allocating a buffer for it, since you're replacing with a new
pointer which presumably also had to allocate its space (and the typical
apr_socket_addr_get() would do that). So we need to use a memcpy() instead!

-Norman Tuttle, developer, OpenDemand Systems, ntuttle@opendemand.com

PS Question: how many similar issues exist in the current state of the APR?