apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposed PRNG patch
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 05:16:13 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 03:52:41PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>>Ben Laurie wrote:
>>

>>>Comments?
>>>
>>>Note that this supplies the underlying PRNG - I anticipate wrapping it
>>>up in a daemon for normal use. As discussed with some members of the
>>>team, we think that should be a sub-project of APR, apr-prngd.
>>>
>>>Note that for some applications, direct access to the PRNG makes sense.
>>>Also note that it isn't currenly thread-safe.
>>
>>Doh! Patch attached...
>>
>>I should also note that the core PRNG is a work in progress, I may
>>change it yet, but the API shouldn't change.
>

> How will this be used to replace the apr_generate_random_bytes
> interface, or is this just to be used to implement a daemon accessed via
> the EGD interface (or something like that)?

The latter is the general idea - feeding it entropy in a general way
when not daemonized would be problematic.

> some technical issues:
> - sha code should use apr_uint64_t etc types

OK.

> - code style!?

So where are the emacs macros for code style?

> - the odd C++ // comment

Deliberate - I knew I'd get nagged about them so a good way of not
dropping the ball :-)

> - there's already a SHA implementation in apr-util, is
> there duplication here which could be reduced?

Definitely - I was not aware of that, I could look at extending that
instead.

> - the SHA* functions need to be namespaced if they are not static

I was planning to make them static in the long run.

Cheers,

Ben.