apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-dist/tools release.sh
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:25:07 GMT
On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 03:58:55PM -0800, Sander Striker wrote:
> > If the RELEASE_VERSION is an optional parameter (in which case the
> > script would try to figure out the name of the tarball based on the
> > TAG) what happens when the TAG does not contain a version? Does it
> > fail? Want to write that code? *grin*
>
> Uhm, we could either just extract the version from the version header,
> or, just require the tag contains a version.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself. I don't want to have to make a CVS
tag to make a simple tarball.  I want to make tarballs from HEAD
so that our beta testers can get their bleeding-edge-craving hands
on something to play with.

I would like to make new tarballs every few days (encorporating the
fixes provided by our testers) until we have something stable that we'd
like to make a release version. I am changing the way we do releases
in APR (or at least, I am stepping up to do it my way because I think
it is better).

I believe this can dramatically improve the release process of APR
(and HTTPD where I'm making the same changes). I also think this
will help this project take advantage of willing and eager testers
who continually submit patches to this list and are ignored.

> > I reject the idea that making releases should be difficult. This patch
> > makes tarball creation easy. Anyone can now spontaneously decide to make
> > a tarball with much less effort (no fussing with getting everyone to
> > agree on a TAG before we agree on the code).
>
> Making releases isn't any more difficult with that code in.  Actually it
> makes it harder since you have to carefully retype the version number
> you also used to tag.

Making official releases is only a special use case of this script.

> We might also just aswell disallow creation of tarballs from 'HEAD',
> since those aren't recreatable.

We should never do that.

The only tarballs that need to be recreatable are official releases.

-aaron