apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-dist/tools release.sh
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:51:52 GMT
On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 03:19:42PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Sunday, November 16, 2003 8:37 PM +0000 aaron@apache.org wrote:
>
> >aaron       2003/11/16 12:37:07
> >
> >  Modified:    tools    release.sh
> >  Log:
> >  It now takes a CVS TAG *and* a RELEASE_VERSION.
> >    The TAG is what we pull from CVS.
> >    The RELEASE_VERSION is what we call the tarball.
>
> As I said in person this afternoon, can you please add back in the
> functionality to not require RELEASE_VERSION in the script?

RELEASE_VERSION is required because the TAG is now distinct from the
name of the tarball. That way we don't need a TAG (we can use HEAD)
to make tarballs at any time.

If the RELEASE_VERSION is an optional parameter (in which case the
script would try to figure out the name of the tarball based on the
TAG) what happens when the TAG does not contain a version? Does it
fail? Want to write that code? *grin*

> This will ease the job of the people making actual releases where the sed
> and version checks are necessary to making sure we don't issue dud releases.

I reject the idea that making releases should be difficult. This patch
makes tarball creation easy. Anyone can now spontaneously decide to make
a tarball with much less effort (no fussing with getting everyone to
agree on a TAG before we agree on the code).

-aaron