apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <...@manyfish.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposed PRNG patch
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2003 09:35:01 GMT
On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 03:52:41PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Comments?
> >
> > Note that this supplies the underlying PRNG - I anticipate wrapping it
> > up in a daemon for normal use. As discussed with some members of the
> > team, we think that should be a sub-project of APR, apr-prngd.
> >
> > Note that for some applications, direct access to the PRNG makes sense.
> > Also note that it isn't currenly thread-safe.
>
> Doh! Patch attached...
>
> I should also note that the core PRNG is a work in progress, I may
> change it yet, but the API shouldn't change.

How will this be used to replace the apr_generate_random_bytes
interface, or is this just to be used to implement a daemon accessed via
the EGD interface (or something like that)?

some technical issues:
- sha code should use apr_uint64_t etc types
- code style!?
- the odd C++ // comment
- there's already a SHA implementation in apr-util, is
there duplication here which could be reduced?
- the SHA* functions need to be namespaced if they are not static

Regards,

joe