apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Striker <stri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-dist/tools release.sh
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:58:55 GMT
On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 15:51, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 03:19:42PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > --On Sunday, November 16, 2003 8:37 PM +0000 aaron@apache.org wrote:
> >
> > >aaron       2003/11/16 12:37:07
> > >
> > >  Modified:    tools    release.sh
> > >  Log:
> > >  It now takes a CVS TAG *and* a RELEASE_VERSION.
> > >    The TAG is what we pull from CVS.
> > >    The RELEASE_VERSION is what we call the tarball.
> >
> > As I said in person this afternoon, can you please add back in the
> > functionality to not require RELEASE_VERSION in the script?

+1.

> RELEASE_VERSION is required because the TAG is now distinct from the
> name of the tarball. That way we don't need a TAG (we can use HEAD)
> to make tarballs at any time.

It would be more convenient to add an optional flag to specify the
name of the tarball if you want to override it.

> If the RELEASE_VERSION is an optional parameter (in which case the
> script would try to figure out the name of the tarball based on the
> TAG) what happens when the TAG does not contain a version? Does it
> fail? Want to write that code? *grin*

Uhm, we could either just extract the version from the version header,
or, just require the tag contains a version.

> > This will ease the job of the people making actual releases where the sed
> > and version checks are necessary to making sure we don't issue dud releases.
>
> I reject the idea that making releases should be difficult. This patch
> makes tarball creation easy. Anyone can now spontaneously decide to make
> a tarball with much less effort (no fussing with getting everyone to
> agree on a TAG before we agree on the code).

Making releases isn't any more difficult with that code in.  Actually it
makes it harder since you have to carefully retype the version number
you also used to tag.

We might also just aswell disallow creation of tarballs from 'HEAD',
since those aren't recreatable.

Sander