apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [patch] Re: apr-util/dbm/sdbm page sizes
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:39:03 GMT
At 08:07 AM 10/22/2003, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>++1 on concept and I'll be actually doing some
>testing soon.
>
>One problem is just that mod_ssl uses the default APR
>dbm which is the (non-optimal) sdbm. A cool fix would
>be to allow SSLSessionCache to pick out the underlying
>dbm implementation, since we have those hooks in APR
>anyway. But error detection/correction would be
>interesting because of the linked nature of those
>dbm libs.

+1 on supporting apr_dbm in mod_ssl - but that's sort of OT
on this list :)  Win32 ships with 'just' sdbm so I remain just
as concerned about sdbm.

>As far as storage of that "private" information regarding
>sizes, one thought would be to place them into the
>APR dbm datum types... Looking into that now :)

That could be fine.  However, I'm mostly puzzled by where we
could persist the two block size variable in the page0 of one of
the files (.pag or .dat).  If we found a way (it's non-trivial, because
the format of sdbm's are trivial and we don't want to touch many
lines of code) then apr_sdbm would know the page sizes once
the filie is initially created.