apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Question regarding approach to memory allocation in the APR
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:10:46 GMT
At 04:16 PM 10/16/2003, Norman Tuttle wrote:
>The conditions of lack of success for apr_socket_create() should include a case where
memory wasn't available to allocate for the creation of the APR socket structure, but I did
not see evidence of this in either the Win32 or Unix versions of the APR library.

Norman, out of memory conditions either cause a segfault (null pointer deref)
or are handled with an absolute, fatal exception from apr_palloc (there is
an overridable callback for that condition.)

The attitude of the Apache HTTP Server project, and the APR project, is that
on an out-of-memory condition it's impossible to ever safely recover.

> Both functions call a void function alloc_socket() which does the allocation and then
immediately sets members of the allocated socket, so they are obviously assuming the allocation
occurred. Unfortunately, real software cannot be so sure. I was wondering if (1) the APR provided
alternate functions which check for this failure case, and (2) how many APR functions are
doing memory checking?

The correct ansswer to (2) should be none.