apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [patch] Re: apr-util/dbm/sdbm page sizes
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:21:28 GMT
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:12:12PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> For whatever reason, part of the original patch was incorrect.  Here's
> the update against apr-util HEAD...
>
> Again there is no storage/recovery of these page size parameters yet,
> and we have yet to define an API for opening/creating an SDBM with
> such alternatives.  It should be obvious in the open call where I've hacked
> in our default values, for anyone to experiment with.
>
> Immediate beneficiaries include mod_ssl and dav, where pages may need
> to be much larger than the default.

This patch isn't really a benefit for mod_dav. Unfortunately, mod_dav's
pool usage isn't very good. As a result, you'll end up opening a DBM for
each resource that it reports properties for. Since those go into a pool
(and that pool isn't cleared), then you effectively have an unbounded
memory usage. By default, you can't do a Depth:infinity request, but you
*can* configure it to allow it, or you can simply have a directory with a
gazillion files. Regardless, the old form of apr_sdbm which used
malloc/free would at least toss out memory at apr_dbm_close() time.

I'd suggest that (for now) the patch sticks with malloc/free, pending a
fix to mod_dav's propdb pool usage.

Cheers,
-g

--