apr-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@btopenworld.com>
Subject APR Makefile bug when building outside the source tree
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:01:00 GMT
In apr/Makefile.in and apr-util/Makefile.in, the three files
 exports.c
 export_vars.h
 apr[util].exp
are not specified as being in a particular directory (${srcdir} or whatever), and so the build
does not work properly outside the source tree:

~/build/subversion/apr-util> make
[...]
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/julianfoad/build/subversion/apr-util'
gcc -E -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE
-D_GNU_SOURCE   -I/home/julianfoad/build/subversion/apr-util/include -I/home/julianfoad/build/subversion/apr-util/include/private
-I/home/julianfoad/src/subversion/apr-util/include/private -I/home/julianfoad/src/subversion/apr-util/include
 -I/home/julianfoad/build/subversion/apr/include -I/home/julianfoad/src/subversion/apr/include
   exports.c | grep "ap_hack_" | sed -e 's/^.*[)]\(.*\);$/\1/' >> aprutil.exp
gcc: exports.c: No such file or directory

I had a quick go at fixing this, but don't understand it well enough.  I have been building
in a separate directory for months, but only noticed this recently.  I don't know whether
this is a recent regression.  It doesn't stop my Subversion build from proceeding.

p.s. While we're in apr/Makefile.in, a few lines further down, by the target "docs" is a comment
"# DON'T REMOVE THIS".  If that were replaced with an intelligent comment saying WHY the rule
is important, that would be much more useful.

I am not subscribed to apr-devel.  I have also sent this to dev@subversion.tigris.org.

- Julian