apr-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Howe <ach...@snert.com>
Subject Re: apr_global_mutex_child_init & mod_watch
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:53:28 GMT
> this is a situation where mod_rewrite wasn't a great place to look since
> mod_rewrite never handled this situation correctly in 2.0, and I fixed
> mod_rewrite in 2.1-dev by teaching unixd_set_global_mutex_perms() to be
> smarter...  unfortunately, the change has not yet been merged into the
> stable tree

Looking at the SSL code for this aspect, I noticed that mod_ssl will
pass NULL with APR_LOCK_DEFAULT, which means that it never sets
mc->ChownMutexFile to TRUE and relies on either:

	 apr_global_mutex_create()
	 unixd_set_global_mutex_perms()

to chown the lockfile. I've not looked at the code for those two
functions, but empirical testing yesterday showed that passing NULL for
the lock file and APR_LOCK_DEFAULT to apr_global_mutex_create() will
cause an EPERM error later in apr_global_mutex_child_init().

So it looks to me that mod_ssl's solution is NOT 100% reliable in the
current version of Apache when APR_LOCK_DEFAULT is used.

By the way mod_digest will also have similar problems with mutexes as
mod_rewrite.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ: 7116561         AIM: Sir Wumpus