apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: remove nested mutexes?
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:02:00 GMT
On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 10:01:00PM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> I propose we do one of the following.
>
> 1) Remove nested muxtes, meaning all mutexes become non-nested (they
> will
> deadlock whenever the same thread locks twice).
>    Pros: Nested mutexes are lame and are unnecessary. The current
> implementation
>              in APR is broken.
>    Cons: Some applications may be written to rely on nested mutexes.

I've written applications like this. One thread will create a mutex, stash
that away in a global, or somesuch, and then lock the thing *twice*. When
another thread wants the first one to resume, it unlocks the mutex.

If we have another way for a thread to block, then have another thread say
"okay. go ahead and proceed", then I'm all for removing nested mutexes.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/