apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <...@manyfish.co.uk>
Subject Re: remaining issues prior to 1.0?
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:19:24 GMT
On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:04:52PM -0700, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> >--On Tuesday, September 2, 2003 2:30 PM -0700 Stas Bekman
> ><stas@stason.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Other outstanding issues that IMHO can/should be fixed in 1.0.
> >>
> >>Configure issues:
> >>
> >>1) dealing with APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES on linux
> >>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apr-dev&m=105277560530754&w=2
> >>Currently it's just disabled, even when available.
> >>the whole thread is here:
> >>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105271796700002&r=1&w=2
> >

> >IMHO, this isn't a 1.0 showstopper.  Someone who has a Linux box can
> >step up and add the right configure logic.  No API change is required
> >here.  We don't need to hold up 1.0 because no Linux developers care to
> >fix it.  (I don't have access to Linux boxes with working sendfile64, so
> >I'm of zero help here.)
>
> Isn't here anybody who understands the ./configure logic on linux?

If you just want a 64-bit apr_off_t on your 32-bit Linux you can already
just use

  ./configure CPPFLAGS="-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"

but changing the size of apr_off_t (and hence changing the library ABI)
is serious business - that's not a decision I'd want in the hands of a
configure check.

(you can get large file support without changing the size of apr_off_t,
but that's not simply a case of writing some configure gunk)

joe