apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject remove nested mutexes?
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:01:00 GMT
I propose we do one of the following.

1) Remove nested muxtes, meaning all mutexes become non-nested (they
will
deadlock whenever the same thread locks twice).
   Pros: Nested mutexes are lame and are unnecessary. The current
implementation
             in APR is broken.
   Cons: Some applications may be written to rely on nested mutexes.

2) Remove the option for nested mutexes and fall back to whatever the
OS provides
natively.
   Pros: Faster mutexes on both Unix and Windows, since we don't have to
monkey around
             to try to get things working one way or the other when it's
not native (see the non-nested
             impl. on windows for an example of monkeying-around).
   Cons: APR can deliver slightly different functionality depending on
the underlying mutex
              implementation. I don't think this is so bad, since you
don't need to depend on
              non-nested mutex behavior anyway.

I'm in favor of #1, but I could go for #2. Does anyone have a
compelling reason to keep
nested mutex behavior around?

Pros