apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr configure.in CHANGES
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:34:46 GMT
--On Friday, August 29, 2003 10:26 AM +0100 Colm MacCarthaigh
<colm@stdlib.net> wrote:

> Is that a real DNS server, or lookupd ? Am I right in thinking
> lookupd is more or less what everone else calls nscd?

It's going to a real DNS server.  And, yes, AIUI, lookupd is essentially nscd.
(Although, I think lookupd isn't optional like nscd is.)

> Nope :) DNS servers don't even understand IPv4 addresses in that
> sense, you can't query a DNS server saying "give me the reverse
> of this IPv4 addresss", your resolver has to turn 209.237.227.195
> into 195.227.237.209.in-addr.arpa for anything to happen. In the
> case of IPv6 there are two reverse zones it should be asking for,
> so for 2001:770:18:2:260:CFFF:FE20:F45C it should be asking for;

Okay, now I know why IPv6 will never take off.  This is total lameness.

> Assuming RFC2553; I guess it's technically not a bug. But as far
> as the POSIX standard (I believe) and RFC3493 (which obsoletes
> 2553) are concerned, it's a bug. But that's a bit unfair since those
> standards are only 3 months old ;)
>
> It definitely is unusual in the world of getnameinfo() implementations,
> everyone else it did the sensible thing.

Okay, I took your patch and added some autoconf-fu to try to detect this case.

Please let me know how this looks and how it works.  -- justin