apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc M. Adkins" <mma...@Doorways.org>
Subject RE: read/write lockout
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:26:02 GMT
> >I have code that uses a rwlock, a mutex, a condition, and an
> atomic variable
> >to provide something approaching fairness (on W2K, I haven't
> gotten around
> >to testing this on Linux yet).  I can post it if anyone is interested.
> The OS/2 implementation (locks/os2/thread_rwlock.c) I wrote also avoids
> writer starvation in that it won't allow any new reader locks while a
> writer is waiting. It uses 1 mutex, 1 event semaphore. It should translate
> to Win32 quite easily. If you can spot any holes in my logic,
> please let me
> know :)

It looks like a straightforward conversion, but that's first glance.  And
it's late.  I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

How did you test for starvation?  I found the testlock.c application, which
appears to test read/write fine, but I'm not sure it tests specifically for

[I have my own test application.  It is manual in nature, requiring human
review of the results, but seems to show starvation pretty well.  I just ran
it on Mandrake Linux 9.0 and despite the simplicity of the UNIX code (it
just uses the read/write lock) there appears to be no starvation on that

View raw message