apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: [STATUS] (apr) Wed Jun 25 23:45:21 EDT 2003
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:16:45 GMT
At 11:52 AM 6/26/2003, Marc M. Adkins wrote:

>>     * I think apr_open_stderr() and friends *should* dup() the
>>       descriptor.  That would allow the new/returned file to be closed
>>       (via pool cleanup or manually) without accidentally closing
>>       stderr/out.
>
>Hey, I noticed (crashed doing) that!  I thought it was just supposed to work
>that way.  Now that you mention it, using dup() in this matter would be
>better.

The problem with changing the API is that it's the only way we have to
obtain the 'real' system's stdin/out/err.  Without this function (or going
over to using dup()) we end up with no way outside of posix+platform
specific mechanisms to control those system files.

>> Stuff for post 1.0:
>
>I would suggest:
>
>        * Routines for acquiring basic information about running processes
>          such as memory usage, CPU usage, etc.  Should work for processes
>          that were _not_ started via apr_proc_create().  Should allow
>          enumeration of all processes on system (subject to user permissions).
>
>But that's just me, and probably no one else cares. ;)

No, that would be most cool.  Care to offer a patch?

Bill