apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/test testdso.c
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:33:40 GMT
At 02:23 PM 6/4/2003, brane@xbc.nu wrote:
>Quoting Jeff Trawick <trawick@attglobal.net>:
> > Another factor is that not every portability issue affecting
> > applications that use APR is going to be adopted by APR as a
> problem
> > that it can or should solve.  Some issues will always pop up for
> certain
> > apps, and whether or not APR provides a clean way to check the
> platform
> > isn't going to change that fact.
>
>So, what you're proposing is that APR provide mechanisms for people
>to write platform-specific code? That's in direct conflict with our
>mission to provice "predictable if not identical" behaviour across
>platforms.

If you look at it as "providing a predictable and identical method of
determining the platform at compile time" then it fully supports
APR's mission.  When APR doesn't provide the functionality that the
application needs, and it's pretty much a given that there is
SOMETHING that APR hasn't covered yet, it can at least provide the
mechanisms for determining the platform in a predictable fashion.

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu